Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Where was the legend born?

"...I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open; it breathed hard, and a convulsive motion agitated its limbs." p.35

Thats it! No huge metal conductors at the top of the building with a wire leading to the creature that only rises when lightning strikes and then a crazy madman exclaiming "IT'S ALIVE!"? Instead, I get rain, it happens, and Victor runs away. I know stories adapt over the years, but this seems like a far ancestor from the Frankenstein I have grown up knowing. The fact that he is actually intelligent, doesn't have bolts coming out his neck, and not really having  a name besides "creature" for now kind of disappointed me. The only commonalities I see are the fact there is a creator and an ugly monster. I was also surprised to find the creation happen so early. I was under the impression it was the climax of the story. From my diligent research and reliable answer from Yahoo! Answers (sarcasm), the only explanation is that the Frankenstein monster we know today first started in the 1930s movie. But, this, by far had to be the most non-intentional hilarious Frankenstein in history. Never seen the movie, but this has to be an accurate portrayal.


No comments:

Post a Comment