Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Killer of William

"This also was my doing!" p. 60

This is a quote from Victor that has lead me to figure out the killer. As stated in my previous blog, Shelley sometimes gives a way certain things by using the past tense. Since it is storytelling, the storyteller can use retrospect to say "was" or "seemed". When speaking of the death of Justine and the guilt he feels, Victor never once says, "I thought it was my doing." in reference to the him creating the monster he believes killed William and framed Justine, leading to her death. In this case, it the absence of any retrospective corrective thinking or words that cue me to think it was the creature that killed William. Not only this, but the creature saying "I expected this reception," and the fact he is actually intelligent lead me to believe this.

No comments:

Post a Comment