Monday, April 23, 2012

Slaughterhouse-Five The Connection

"There was a drunk on the other end. Billy could almost smell his breath-mustard gas and roses." p. 78

The drunk caller makes an appearance in the speaker's introduction in the first chapter. He says his name is Yon Yonson, although it isn't his true name. Is the narrator in the 1st chapter Vonnegut himself? I begin to wonder what, if any connection there is between this speaker and Bill Pilgrim. I believe this is the first intertwining of the stories and is a clear shout out to beginning of the book. The multiple plot and story lines rival that of a Tarantino movie and have me just as confused. At some point, they will hopefully be wrapped into one easily understood conclusion.

3 comments:

  1. I'm also quite confused on who exactly the narrator is in the first chapter. Could it be Vonnegut himself who is Billy Pilgrim?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way Kurt keeps jumping from event to event with no noticeable connection is very confusing. From what I have read I believe that Kurt and Billy where both kept in Dresden and both served in the war. Other than this I see no connection. Hopefully the stories start to come together and we learn Kurt's and Billy's relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the narrator in the first chapter is Vonnegut because he speaks in first person in both the first chapter and later on when he points out himself being next to Billy. On pg. 125 he says "That was me. That was the author of this book." This quote leads me to believe that he is telling the story in first person.

    ReplyDelete