Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Gigantic Stature Motif

"Over him hung a form which I cannot find words to describe:-gigantic in stature..."

Whenever anyone in the story cannot describe the creature in words, the words "gigantic stature" usually end up being used, not by coincidence. After a few mentions, I caught on. I'm not sure if there is truly any deeper meaning in this motif other than the fact to remind the reader of who it is these humans are seeing. I could not imagine what my reaction would be if I saw an ugly being of "gigantic stature" running at "superhuman speed" towards me or across land. Mary Shelley is simply reminding the reader of why the creature has such negative reactions with humans. While his intentions may be pure, his appearance will arouse fear. If someone lets him get close enough to hear him speak, it might be too late, in their minds. This gigantic stature ensures that people will know he isn't human from a ways off. For someone of gigantic stature, the creature does have some serious stealth, quickness, and ninja skills in avoiding been attacked my Victor and spotted by others other times.

No comments:

Post a Comment