Monday, August 1, 2011

A main theme....that I called

"'Disgraceful?  But what do you mean? They're being death-conditioned. And I tell you,' she warned him truculently, 'if I have any more of your interference with their conditioning, I'll send for the porters and have you thrown out.'" p.203

In one of the 1st chapters, one of the things that shocked me was the lack of respect for life. I know Mr. Costello commented on that post and said it would be a recurring theme. In this chapter, it really comes to fruition. The nurse conditions the children to see death and accept it. That is real cruel and little harsh. I know that in our society death is fairly common but I still don't think there would ever be a point to where people would accept it heartlessly and move on. Even nurses and doctors who see death daily, sometimes more than once daily, probably don't necessarily take death in stride and ignore it. I hope their never comes a point in society where people die and no one bats an eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment