Monday, August 1, 2011

Better late than never I guess

"'Oh, my God, my God!' He covered his eyes with his hand. p. 259

In the argument in Chapter 17, John and Mond discuss the ultimate discussion. How far do we push ourselves and science? Do we rid the world of imperfections and negativity? Or do we keep the world in it's purest form? I really think this is the question Huxley wants to leave the reader. I believe that John is right when he says that he  "claims them all." There is no true happiness without someone experiencing pain first. There is no redemption without failure first. In the final scene, John is disgusted with himself when he gives into the "brave new world" and has to kill himself. Although he isn't really a hero, it is a pretty sad and unfulfilling end.  

1 comment:

  1. Danny,

    I appreciate you completing this process. YOur blogs reflected solid analysis and thought. Use that same approach to the 2nd novel.

    ReplyDelete