Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Depth

"Say you love me not, but say not so in bitterness." (III.v.50)

This simple quote from Sylvius is an expression of love. Yes, love is quite prevalent throughout this story. But, what disappointed me was the overall depth of this play. No elaborate schemes really, an easy to follow plot line, and a happy ending. Maybe since I was on retreat, I wasn't able to bounce ideas off of other people, but I generally was justed "ehh"ed by this play: nothing spectacular. Unlike Othello, no real universal themes to name and no elaborate and deep character conflicts, external or internal. Again, maybe due to my lack of time spent with the work contributed to my lack of grasp of a deep underlying theme or point. Like my reference in my previous blog, I would say this play was a romantic comedy: the guy gets the girl with a few laughs along the way. Touchstone provided humor in his shovinistic attitudes, the Dukes put a slight twist on the usual story with the ownership of the Kingdom; but, overall, I would call this play just a "ho-hummer".


No comments:

Post a Comment