Wednesday, September 14, 2011

One more on "Bright Star"...oxymoron

In reading through this poem, after my first blog, I have to come to the realization that this "star" is actually the moon. Hints like "the moving waters at their preistlike task" clued me in. But the biggest clue I realized on about my third read through was line 12: "Awake forever in a sweet unrest". The oxymoron "sweet unrest" helped me now realize that this is the moon. The moon is always out and never sleeps, even during the day, when we can't see it. The moon is never really dimmer one night to the next, unless interfered with by the night air. It never has an off night where it looks like it needs sleep. It should be "unrest" because it is "awake forever" but never really is because it still shines every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment