Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Joy of Cooking

It is an understatement to say I am appalled and freaked out by this poem. As grotesque as it is, it's really funny how the poet makes it sound appetizing. Just a bit of seasoning with any human body part and a delicious feast is waiting. This poet, like Dickinson, is either completely insane or completely genius. How this idea popped into Magarrell's head is a mystery I want answered. But, the most disturbing part is where she talks about her brother's heart only being able to feed 2 instead of 6. Why is this? My guess was that her brother is really young and has a small heart and bring back flashes of A Modest Proposal. Like Swift's essay, I hope there is some irony or some really deep buried symbolism. But, my gut tells me this is actually about preparing human body parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment