Thursday, July 28, 2011

Shakespeare...eww (allusion)

"'O brave new world," he repeated. 'O brave new world that has such people in it. Let's start at once.'" p.139

Knew I had heard it before but had to google it. After looking it up, I was reminded of last year and reading The Tempest. O how doth I hate Shakespearean language. John speaks in Old English after being given a book from Pope'. I think Huxley is trying to give a shoutout to, I would think, one of his idols in Shakespeare. His admiration for the fellow Brit is shown in how often he quotes him (even in the title) and how Shakespeare is one of the only aspects of our world to have stood the test of time to in this futuristic utopia. With John and Linda moving to the brave new world, new conflicts and subplots are bound to arise. It will be interesting to see how the are accepted and how they adapt to a different world. Although Linda was born there, I'm sure much has changed she has last been there.

No comments:

Post a Comment