Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I see Consuela in "Bartleby the Scrivener"


That was Consuela a Spanish house maid hired by the Griffin family in Family Guy. The problem is she doesn't do a great a job and gets fired, but she refuses to leave. In this way, my first connection to the strange Bartelby was to her. On page 662, a similar scene to the end of this video occurs: the narrator says, "The time has come; you must quit this place; I am sorry for you ; here is money; but you must go," to which Bartelby responds "I would prefer not." This is an odd response to a firing and it seems a rather effective one. In both cases, the people keep their jobs for an extended period of time. But, I feel sympathy for both these people. They are outcasts of society that are all there mentally and are forced out of their homes. Bartelby's story ends more tragically with his life and eventual death in prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment